In 1780, William Hughes, a prominent figure in the Clockmakers'
Company whose family had been connected with horology for some fifty years,
interested himself in chronometer construction. History tells us that he
supplied a chronometer to Captain Bligh of the "Bounty." Early in the next
century Mr. Joseph Hughes started making nautical instruments of the finest
kind then known. Later, in 1833, Henry Hughes founded the world-famous
firm of Henry Hughes
& Son Ltd., now so appropriately associated with the
Smiths group of companies. He it was who opened the shop at 59 Fenchurch
Street in the City of London, which for more than a hundred years has supplied
the needs of navigators, explorers, and others connected with the sea.
The firm has tremendously increased its productive capacity and today
instruments made by the Barkingside factory are found as standard equipment
on ships and aircraft the world over.